What is LTO’s Theoretical Driving Course? Know Which Driving Schools Offer This Program3 min. read
Starting April 6, 2020, new drivers must undergo a 15-hour theoretical driving course program before applying for a student permit.
Through this stricter process, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) aims to ensure that driver licenses are given to disciplined individuals with more than average driving skills and extensive knowledge on road safety and established laws.
Familiarize yourself with the coverage of the LTO’s theoretical program with this guide.
What is the LTO’s mandatory theoretical driving course?
According to Memorandum Circular 2019-2176 implemented by the LTO, student applicants requesting a driver’s license are required to go through a 15-hour theoretical driving course under certified instructors.
The course is divided into three sessions and will cover everything from traffic regulations to LTO mandated special laws. It must be completed within two years from the day an applicant started the course.
Also, a minimum of eight-hour hands-on driving lesson from an LTO accredited driving school is required.
Accredited driving schools for the LTO theoretical program
Accredited driving schools offer facilities equipped with maneuvering sites where students can develop skills needed in our challenging roads today. They are complete with various road signs, special markings on the pavements, and the likes to mimic actual driving and establish familiarity.
Also, their classrooms are furnished with audio-visual materials duly specified and approved by the LTO.
Coverage of 15-hour driving seminar for student permits
The curriculum is divided into classroom/theoretical instructions and actual driving sessions.
Classroom instruction is split up into three sessions and will last for 15 hours. It will cover:
- The progress and role of the LTO in our society’s growth
- The organization and operation of the LTO
- Requirements and process of getting a driver’s license
- Traffic regulations that include signs, road markings, and right of way
- Specific directives and laws designed by the LTO
- Scanning of danger to reduce road crash risks
- Operations of automotive parts and related accessories
- Effective driving with proper maneuvering
- Different parking skills
- Techniques and tips on how to save fuel
- The correct way of checking the safety of a vehicle
- Practicum on basic troubleshooting
- Defensive driving, road discipline, and other related practices
- A comprehensive discussion regarding the safe use of motorcycle and light motor vehicles
Note that a 30-minute written examination will be done after every session.
Furthermore, a student will be provided with a copy of the updated Filipino Driver’s manual useful as a quick reference.
On the other hand, the driving course lasts for eight hours and will include:
- Effective pre-driving checks in the interior and exterior of a vehicle
- Motor engine starting procedure
- The proper way to establish a path
- Changing of gears
- Normal stopping of a vehicle
- Correct courtesy in an intersection
- Side street in and out backing
- Appropriate crossing in any road
- Navigating in light traffic
- Maneuvering in “Y” turn and turnabout roads
- Driving uphill or downhill
- Steering a vehicle inside a garage
- Steering a car outside a parking space
- Parking an automobile using the backing procedure
- The correct way to enter and leave an angle parking
- Techniques on perpendicular parking
- How to parallel park in challenging spaces
- Effective driving in any traffic condition
- Trains students with the correct driving attitude during heavy traffic
- Acquainting new drivers on night driving
- As a review, their driving skills will be observed and assessed on different traffic conditions.
Certificate of driving course completion
Once the student-driver completed and passed the theoretical and practical driving course, he/she will be issued a Certificate of Driving Course Completion that will be used to process their license.
It bears his/her electronically captured photo, personal information such as full name, citizenship, date of birth, gender, and the date the certificate was issued.
Also, it will indicate the completed subjects and the vehicle used for training as it will determine his/her license code.
Finally, as proof of validity, a control number and the signature of the instructor is affixed.