CTPL vs Comprehensive Car Insurance: What Are The Differences?
How is Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) insurance different from Comprehensive Auto Insurance? Allow us to explain to you in this guide.
Now that the roles of each party have been established, itâ€™s time to distinguish the difference between the two types of insurance.
How is Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) insurance different from Comprehensive Auto Insurance?
First, to understand the level of protection you can get from the different types of insurance, you need to know the parties involved in an insurance coverage:
- First party. The insured, who is the owner of the vehicle who purchased a vehicle insurance
- Second party. The insurer, who issued the policy to the first party in exchange of paying a premium
Once there is a binding agreement between the first and second parties in the form of an insurance policy, the latter will step in when the third party makes a claim from the former.â€¯ Without the insurance company in between, the first party would shoulder everything out of their own pocket. Keep in mind that regardless of the cause of accident, the first party is always presumed as the one at fault.â€¯
- Third party. Any party involved in an accident making a claim from the first party
What is the difference between CTPL and comprehensive insurance?
Now that the roles of each party have been established, itâ€™s time to distinguish the difference between the two types of insurance:â€¯
- Liabilityâ€¯insurance.â€¯This type of coverage will only financially insulate you from the damages you incur to other people. The most common examples of this is Compulsory Third Partyâ€¯Liabililtyâ€¯(CTPL)â€¯and the bodily injury coverage of a comprehensive car insurance.â€¯
- Comprehensive insurance.â€¯Unlikeâ€¯TPLâ€¯insurance, this one has a wider coverage than just third-party insurance.â€¯Theâ€¯other parties,â€¯involvedâ€¯as well asâ€¯you and your passengers,â€¯are also covered. The coverage also extends beyond accidentally hitting someone; a comprehensive insurance coverage protects you from a wider range of incidents. You can even file for a claim if you inadvertently damage your own car.â€¯
Key Differences Between Liability and Comprehensive Insurance
Know the coverage of the two types of car insurance.
- Compulsory Third-Party Liability
- Own Damage: None
- Theft: None
- Third Party liability – Bodily Injury: As mandated by law
- Third Party liability – Property damage: None
- Passenger personal accident: None
- Acts of Nature coverage: None
- Strikes, riots, Civil commotion: None
- Towing service assistance: None
- Ambulance service: None
- Removal of the vehicle: None
- Accommodation and travel due to breakdown of vehicle: None
- Fuel delivery: None
- Battery boosting or Jumpstarting: None
- Locksmith service: None
- Tire replacement: None
- Legal assistance: None
- 24/7 customer assistance: None
Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Own Damage: Based on fair market value (FMV) of the vehicle
- Theft: Based on FMV of the vehicle
- Third Party liability – Bodily Injury: Up to PHP1,000,000.00
- Third Party liability – Property damage: Up to PHP1,000,000.00
- Passenger personal accident: Up to 18 seats coverage
- Acts of Nature coverage: Optional
- Strikes, riots, Civil commotion: Covered
- Towing service assistance: Covered
- Ambulance service: Covered
- Removal of the vehicle: Covered
- Accommodation and travel due to breakdown of vehicle: Covered
- Fuel delivery: Covered
- Battery boosting or Jumpstarting: Covered
- Locksmith service: Covered
- Tire replacement: Covered
- Legal assistance: Provided
- 24/7 customer assistance: Included
Where to get CTPL and car insurance online?
Compare Comprehensive Car Insurance and CTPL with eCompareMo. Easily find the best provider and enjoy hassle-free claims with assistance from our VIP Concierge.
- Generate a FREE car insurance quote. It only takes a few taps and clicks to get quotations from different providers.
- Get your e-policy within 24 hours. Found a provider you like? Complete the process and we’ll send the policy in your inbox.
- Enjoy peace of mind all year round. Our dedicated VIP Concierge is here to assist you with claims and all other concerns.