As of today, tobacco remains as one of the major causes of health problems such as lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke. In fact, about 4.9 million people die worldwide every year because of tobacco smoking.
Luckily enough, several countries across the globe are implementing different initiatives to completely end smoking habits and convince people to stop patronizing tobacco.
In the Philippines, the Department of Health (DOH), in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO), recently launched Quitline, a hotline that provides services to Filipino smokers who are struggling to kick the habit.
An innovative way to quit smoking
Quitline is a hotline that offers both phone and mobile support. It gives care and counseling to smokers who wish to quit tobacco smoking.
Interested smokers can call 165364 to get real-time assistance from in-house experts from the Lung Center.
On the other hand, people can also seek help by texting “STOPSMOKE” to (29290) 1653664. They will then receive messages that contain guidance and counseling on how to quit tobacco smoking.
When a smoker wants to join the program, he or she needs to register through texting the given number above. Afterward, they will receive a message that contains instructions that they need to follow and questions they need to answer carefully.
Once done, the member will finally receive daily messages, which contain advice, counseling, and support from Quitline.
Quitline is absolutely free and available 24/7, giving people an easy and quick way to prepare themselves for quitting tobacco smoking. Moreover, the creation of Quitline will aid DOH in strengthening its campaign against tobacco smoking.
Over the years, the DOH and other non-government organizations in the country have been actively creating different programs, campaigns, and executive orders to achieve a healthier and smoke-free Philippines.
With the availability of several technological advancements today, anti-smoking campaigns have already gone digital. The innovative devices and technologies are not only beneficial in making communication easier and quicker to people but also serve as tools and avenues in providing a better healthcare system in the Philippines as well.
Furthermore, online anti-smoking programs such as Quitline make it easier for smokers to continue their intention of quitting tobacco smoking since such program is within their reach and operational 24/7.
Recommended routine for nicotine withdrawal
Apart from joining Quitline, you can fully quit smoking by doing some of the useful tips at home to finally get rid of nicotine from your body. Here are some of the useful ways on how to effectively start a smoke-free life.
- Preparation for quitting. The start is always the hardest. In this regard, it is important that you have a strong motivation for quitting. Think about all the negative effects of tobacco smoking to your health.
- Second, tell your family and friends. It is essential that you have someone who will remind and support you of your plan to quit smoking. You can also encourage your smoker friends to quit with you. Just like hitting the gym, it can be motivational when you have a buddy in this type of project.
- Lastly, remove all the temptations, such as alcohol and coffee, which trigger you to smoke.
- Clearing nicotine from the body. After the preparation period, clearing nicotine from your body comes next. The goal is to start having a nicotine-free body and get used to it. Do a body detox by drinking more water, consuming more fruits and vegetables, munching on onion and garlic, and exercising regularly. These simple routines will clear your body from nicotine.
- Managing your nicotine craving. It is normal that you will crave cigarette every now and then. Convert your cravings into something else. Manage your nicotine craving by looking for an oral substitute, such as candy. You can also distract yourself by keeping your mind busy and get moving by doing new physical activities. By this, your attention will be diverted and smoking will be prevented.
- Maintain a smoke-free life. After you finish doing the initial steps, the next thing is to maintain it—for good. Remember that discipline and determination are integral parts of the nicotine withdrawal period.
Quit to win
There will never will a perfect time to quit tobacco smoking except now. It might seem hard for some people but it is not impossible. Quitting a habit, such as smoking is never easy since your mind and body are already used to it and they continually crave nicotine. However, with the recommended ways mentioned above and by using Quitline, quitting tobacco smoking will be easier and faster.
As we all know, there are several negative effects of tobacco smoking on human health, may it be first-hand or second-hand smoking. It is essential to start quitting it as early as now and start to win a healthier and smoke-free life. After all, health is wealth.