There is only one rule when driving through a flooded street: Don’t.
Unfortunately, we live in a town that is not bereft of areas that easily get filled up with water once torrential rains set in. Metro Manila’s flood-prone streets could easily stop traffic—or worse, damage cars and endanger live after a continuous downpour.
Thing is, when you brave flooded roads and wade through murky standing water, your car’s tires lose contact with the ground, which is likely to result in “aquaplaning,” or you losing absolute control of the steering wheel.
Even a small amount of water seeping into your engine can cause irreparable damage to your vehicle. When that happens, your car will stall and you won’t be able to drive at all.
The basic rule of thumb when driving through a seemingly flooded street? If you can no longer see the painted markings on the road, take that as a warning sign: the water’s probably too deep. It’s best not to force yourself into it and instead use a traffic navigator app to find an alternative route.
This rainy season, cars can easily get knee-deep in trouble, and the only sure way to save your car from irreparable damage is to avoid flood-prone areas during harsh weather conditions.
The safest thing to do, of course, is to plan your route ahead of time. For your safety, go over this list of flood-prone locations in Metro Manila, courtesy of the Metropolitan Manila Development Association (MMDA).
Stay tuned for flood updates before and during your drive. Don’t take your chances and you’ll be happy you’ve saved yourself from costly car repairs.
Flood-prone areas in Caloocan City
- Rizal Ave. between 10th and 11th Sts.
- Gen. Luis St. Cor. ITC Compound, Bagbaguin
- Gen. Luis St. Cor. Silver Road, Kaybiga
- Samson Road from Gen. Pio Villanueva St. to Lapu-lapu St., Sangandaan
- 10th Ave. from Roxas St. to Baltazar St., West Gracepark
- Tulingan St. from Sabalo St. to Libis Talisay, Dagat-Dagatan
- Dagat-Dagatan Av. from Tanigue St. to Tulingan St., Dagat-Dagatan
- 8th Ave. from 4th St. to 7th St., East Gracepark
- 9th Ave. from 4th St. to 7th St., East Gracepark
- 10th Ave. from 4th St. to 7th St., East Gracepark
- 11th Ave. Ave. from 4th St. to 7th St., Gracepark
- 4th St. from 8th Ave. to 11th Ave., East Gracepark
- Boni Serrano Ave. from 8th Ave. to 11th Ave., East Gracepark
- 6th St. from 8th Ave. to 11th Ave., East Gracepark
- 7th St. from 8th Ave. to 11th Ave., East Gracepark
- J.P. Rizal from J.P. Rizal Ext. to San Miguel St., Maypajo
Las Piñas City
- Quirino Ave. to Saulog
- Quirino Ave. near Naga Road
- Alabang-Zapote Road
- CAA to J. Tiongquiao Road
- Tramo Line to Casimiro-Camella Subd.
- Tramo Line to Casimiro Subd. F. Santos
- Dagat-Dagatan Ave. Extension
- General Luna
- Dulong Duhat, Letre – Loscano due to high tide
- Gov. Pascual – Maria Clara
- M.H. Del Pilar – San Vicente
- P. Aquino – Tonsuya
- Edsa cor. Estrella
- Edsa – Magallanes Tunnel
- Edsa – Pasong Tamo
- Osmeña Skyway (SLEX Buendia)
- Maysilo Circle
- Ortigas Ave. – La Salle Greenhills
- Edsa – Megamall
- Edsa cor. Connecticut
- Edsa – Shaw Blvd. Tunnel
- Shaw Blvd. cor. Acacia Lane
- Shaw Blvd. – J. Luna, JRU
- Kalentong, Shaw Boulevard – Maytunas Creek
- Boni Ave. cor. F. Ortigas Street
- F. Martinez cor. Dela Paz Sts.
- Maceda – Maria Clara
- Maceda – Simoun
- Maceda – Laon-Laan
- Rizal Ave. cor. R.Papa
- Recto near Morayta going to Divisoria
- Quirino Ave. – Taft Ave., leading to Roxas Blvd. on both sides
- P.Burgos fronting Manila City Hall
- Taft Ave. – Malvar St. – Pedro Gil St.
- Montillano St. National Road, East Service Road, M.L. Quezon Road
- San Guillermo Rd.
- PNR Open Canal Multi-Land, Putatan
- PNR Track
- JPA Subd., Tunasan
- E. Rodriguez Ave.
- Arandia St. and MSSR
- North Bay Boulevard
- Ninoy Aquino Ave., NIA Road – Macapagal, and Sucat Rd. cor. C-5 Ext.
- Redemptorist/Taft Ave. extension
- Quirino Ave. cor. Kabihasnan
- Quirino Ave. – La Huerta Market
- Sucat Road – Canaynay Road
- Sucat Road – Fourth Estate
- East Service Road cor. Tanyag
- Daang Batang near E. Rodriguez St.
- M. Almeda St. cor. Bagong Calzada
- Pasay Taft Rotonda and Macapagal Ave. near World Trade Center
- C-5 Bagong Ilog and C-5 Eagle
Flood-prone areas in Quezon City
- Aurora Blvd. cor. Harvard St.
- Maria Clara cor. Araneta Ave.
- Tatalon – Talayan Creek
- Biak na Bato, Quezon Ave.
- Tomas Morato cor. Scout Lozcano
- NLEX NB/SB – Balintawak
- NLEX – A.Bonifacio
- Commonwealth Ave. – Tandang Sora
- Commonwealth Ave. – Bitoon Circle
- Commonwealth Ave. – Visayas Ave.
- Edsa – Muñoz
- Timog cor. Scout Tobias
- Kamuning – 11th Jamboree
- Quezon Ave. – Roxas District
- C-3 – Sgt. Rivera
- P. Tuazon cor. 18th Ave.
- C-5 BCDA
- C-5 McKinley
- C-5 Bayani Road
- MacArthur Highway near Fatima Medical Center – University