Dengue Insurance: Philippines' Most Affordable Plans
Dengue, a mosquito-borne virus with flu-like symptoms, causes bodyache, rashes, and headache. In some cases it can lead to a potentially lethal complication called severe dengue, formerly known as dengue haemorrhagic fever.
Government and health institutions are taking preventive measures to eliminate dengue cases. Insurance providers in the country also are now offering comprehensive dengue insurance coverage for both in-patient and out-patient medical expenses in the occurrence of dengue treatment.
With eCompareMo, you can choose from the best dengue health coverage that works for you.
What is a dengue insurance?
A dengue care insurance plan is a type of health insurance that offers medical cash assistance for dengue treatments. Moreover, a policy for dengue works through reimbursement method.
The benefits of dengue care insurance
The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded 35,973 dengue cases throughout the country from January to May of 2017. This may be lower than the reported cases in 2016, but that doesn’t mean the public should stop taking precautions to prevent themselves from acquiring the disease.
Dengue insurance in the Philippines should become a priority since the country is most prone to this vector-borne disease.
Here are some of the benefits of purchasing an insurance for dengue:
- Easy process
- Serves as a safety net
Unlike in any other health or life insurance plans, a premium for a single-disease plan such as dengue plan is often cheaper. Some insurance providers offer an annual premium of only PHP 600 for ages 0 to 17, and PHP 150 for ages 18 to 65.
Consumers are only required to pay a single premium. No medical tests are needed prior to availment of the policy. However, the insured must wait 30 days before the policy takes effect from the date of issuance.
Treatment for dengue often involves multiple diagnostic tests, frequent visits to doctors, or long confinement, which equate to expensive medical costs. Having a dengue plan will spare you from sudden hospitalization expenses since your medical charges will be reimbursed.
How do I avail of a Dengue Insurance?
Dengue Insurance Plans
|Eligibility Requirement||Annual Premium (PHP)||Coverage Amount (PHP)|
|Child (ages 0-17 years old)||600||30,000 per incident*|
|Adult (18-65 years old)||150||30,000 per incident*|
|Family (inclusion - 2 parents and 3 children)||1200||30,000 per enrolled, per incident*|
*Up to two incidences per year
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who are the people qualified for a dengue insurance?
Applicants aged zero (0) months old to sixty-five (65) are eligible for dengue insurance plan.
What does a dengue policy cover?
Here are the Hospital Expenses that are COVERED by the medical reimbursement:
- Actual reasonable and customary Physician's Fees
- Hospitalization Fees
- Medical Supplies
- Diagnostic Procedures/Medications
Note: All these must be incurred while confined in the hospital.
How does my provider cover my dengue insurance policy?
Medical costs arising from hospitalization due to dengue will be reimbursed by your provider. That means you must shell out cash first in case an emergency occurs. However, rest assured that reimbursement will be processed within 30 days after the request.
What are the steps in filing for a reimbursement?
Follow these easy steps for your dengue insurance claims:
- Accomplish a claims reimbursement form
- Ask your attending physician to create a medical account of your treatment. This should be included on the “attending physician report” section of the claims reimbursement form.
- File your reimbursement request within 30 days from the date of your discharge from the hospital. The request should be submitted to the claims department of your insurance provider.
- The evaluation of your reimbursement request will be processed once you comply with the needed documents. Moreover, the claims department may request for additional documents relevant to your request.
- Reimbursement requests usually take 30 days to get processed. You can check the status of your request with the claims department of your chosen insurance provider. You may also call their hotline.
What are the needed documents in claiming for reimbursement?
To have a hassle-free reimbursement process, secure the following documents:
- Prescribed claims reimbursement form
- Original copy of official receipts of all the payments of your confinement, whether made at the hospital, clinic, or medical center
- Original copy of official receipts of all the payments made to doctors
- Original copy of statement of accounts
- Original copy of charge slips. If charge slip is not available, make sure to break down the expenses
- Copy of admitting history report for in-patient calls
- Copy of operative record, which includes the histopathological report if surgical procedure was done
Does a dengue policy cover repeated hospital confinement?
Yes, dengue insurance covers multiple hospital confinement. However, the coverage is subject to the maximum benefit limit within the year.
Dengue is a fatal disease that’s prevalent in the Philippines, especially during the rainy season.
As of today, there is no specific dengue cure since this disease is caused by a virus. The least thing people can do is to prevent themselves from getting inflicted by wearing protective clothing, using a mosquito repellent, and by having a dengue vaccine.
Furthermore, purchasing an insurance for dengue will make you equipped in case you are bitten by mosquitoes that carry the disease.